Thursday, June 14, 2012

Painting Furniture for Dummies

I've never been very good at do-it-yourself projects. Stroud is really handy around the house. I, on the other hand, have made enough messes with a paintbrush to know better.

So when I heard about Chalk Paint from British decorator Annie Sloan, I was skeptical. My mom's girlfriends were raving about it at Round Top. Apparently there's NO prep necessary - no priming, no sanding. You just slap on the paint with a brush and you're done, unless you want to add a little wax on top. And the palette is pretty. The soft colors are inspired by antique Swedish furniture and come in shades like French Linen, Paris Grey and Duck Egg Blue. 


So I popped into Uptown Country in Snider Plaza and bought a pint (Country Gray) and a tub of soft wax, which when applied after the paint, gives an antiqued look. Then I chose my guinea pig, a table that sat beside my bed in my first apartment. I still love its cute curvy lines, but the wood is super rough and ugly - in other words, in need of a large piece of sandpaper and the perfect candidate to road test this supposed no-prep paint. 


I got to work in my garage one afternoon while Leighton and Benton rode scooters in the back driveway. True to its promise, the paint went on smoothly and didn't leave a single brush stroke. I mean, even my six-year-old could do it! 


After just one coat, it almost can pass for a Swedish antique, don't you think?


So, I'm sold - and now completely obsessed with finding things to paint!


1 comment:

  1. I haven't tried it. I wonder if it is similar to milk paint? Can't wait to see it with the wax!

    ReplyDelete