Saturday, April 14, 2012

Backyard Before and After

When we bought our home two years ago, the backyard was bare bones. Our little plot of land came complete with grass, a window box (which I do happen to love) and a really ugly 1980s aggregate patio. 


The backyard has been a big project over the past couple of years. We started by hiring a landscaper to create beds and fill them in with English boxwoods and Savannah Hollies, all of which stay green year-round and tolerate our hot Texas summers. Stroud and I also spent a weekend drilling a wire-patterned trellis into the front wall of our garage. I planted a few Confederate Jasmine vines below the wires, and over the past year they've really made our garage's ugly white siding so much prettier The last step was covering the 1980s gravel patio with pattern-cut Pennsylvania bluestone, building in a grill, and replacing the outdoor lighting with lanterns from Visual Comfort


This is the first year our jasmine vine has bloomed, and it smells amazing. Creating a trellis like this is easy. You just need a drill, some hook and wire, a tape measure and a very patient husband. Click here for a great tutorial on creating your own trellis. 





Happy Spring! 



4 comments:

  1. That is amazing! I want to try that belgian fencing on my big ole wall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How charming...what a difference that the trellis makes!! Love the tutorial ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the character. I'm about 1/2 done with my yard. http://www.decorellaknox.com/2012/05/backyard-update.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lindley, your trellis is beautiful!! I have a question I was hoping you could help me with. I recently planted a trellis just like yours with two base plants. My question is this - do the plants grow from the base or from the tips of the vines? As they grow, do I need to untie and retie the vines to extend them on the trellis or do I just need to tie the ends of the vines as they grow? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete