Monday, January 2, 2012

Antiques for Kids

One of my pet peeves is Rooms To Go. If you've never had the chance to visit one of these establishments, I know you've seen the commercials. They're always running specials where you can walk out with an entire room - the couch, chairs, coffee table - and they EVEN throw in a flat screen television. There's no picking out styles, no fabric swatches to shuffle through. It's easy. And in my opinion, boring and a little bit lazy. 


Being a mom, I have bought my fair share from Pottery Barn Kids. But furnishing an entire room from there isn't much different than Rooms To Go. The things are cute. But all together, they don't have a ton of personality. See what I mean? 




If you've been reading my blog for a while, you know I'm all about antiques. Even for kids. It's obviously not smart to buy a super expensive, museum quality piece. It will no doubt be rammed with remote control cars and at some point, covered with scratch n' sniff stickers. I personally think an antique chest is a good workhorse for a child - it can store toys, clothing, and even can be something nostalgic to use when the child grows up and moves into their first home of their own. 


Collins Interiors


Chambers Interiors


Cote de Texas

I don't think many kids will have their Pottery Barn Thomas Dresser in their adult homes. But an antique American pine chest? You can almost count on it! 


1 comment:

  1. The Collins Interiors room is adorable...full of charm and character. Saving that for my grandson's "big boy room"!! Wishing you all the best in 2012 ~

    ReplyDelete