Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Shopping Houston

Urban Market in Houston is one of my favorite antique shows. It's not too big, it's an easy trip from Dallas, plus they serve wine while you shop, which is always an added bonus. 


So last weekend, we packed up the kids and headed to Houston for a weekend of shopping (for me and my cousin Laura) and NASA (for Stroud, Pablo and the kids). The trip started off with Shirley Temples in the hotel lobby, a great dinner at Escalante's and a good night's sleep. 



Laura and I hit the road early on Saturday, and our first stop was Memorial Antiques and Interiors, 8719 Katy Freeway. MAI doesn't look like much from the road, but the inside is filled with finds from some of the best antique dealers in Texas, many who show at Marburger. 




Next on our list was Antiques and Interiors on Dunlavy, another antique mall (I hate that word!) that again, looks dismal from the curb. But it's home to dealers who have a good eye and great prices. 



As you know, I have a thing for dog beds - and not the duck canvas kind from LL Bean. This one from dealer  The Fabulous Flea would be big enough for Trooper. Too bad I already bought him one.


And look at this sweet one made from an old Swedish doll bed.




I can't go to Houston without eating lunch at Tiny Boxwoods, the cafe tucked inside the Thompson & Hanson nursery. 



And you can't eat at Tiny Boxwoods without leaving without your very own tiny boxwood! Aren't they the cutest? 


My favorite stop on this trip was this little warehouse, which sits behind Tiny Boxwoods. Twenty Six Twenty, which is named for its address on Joanel Street, is super small but packed with gorgeous pieces that are surprisingly well priced. 


This vignette sits right inside the door. I am still dreaming about that melon Murano lamp! 




One of my favorite blogs is Joni Webb's Cote de Texas. Joni is a Houston native, so she's shared some of her favorite shops, including this pair on Bissonnet - Watkins Culver and Shabby Slips. Of course we had to make a stop! 





I thought these butterflies cut out of printed paper were so unusual. 


With just an hour before Urban Market opened, we popped into The Gray Door, 3465 West Alabama. This lamp was one of our favorites. Owner Donna Temple Brown made it from a 1950s iron table base.  




The gates to Urban Market opened at 4 p.m., and Laura and I were the first in line! The show has moved into a parking lot in downtown Houston. It's such a different feel from the last time I visited, when it was set up in a field on the outskirts of town. Honestly, I'm not a fan of the new location. And neither were many of the dealers I spoke to. It felt a little cramped. But I grabbed my wine and headed inside.

Julie Landreth


I'
Julie Landreth



Julie Landreth

I did pick up a couple of things for my booth - a pair of large dough bowls and italian columns I'm going to make into lamps. But the show just isn't the same. I'm not sure that I'll be making a special trip again. Better save my money for Round Top! 

And the boys had a great time at NASA, and even brought the mommies some delicious space ice cream (which really is good, by the way). Before we hit the road on Sunday, we ended the trip with beignets - the boys were in heaven! 




No comments:

Post a Comment