Saturday, October 1, 2011

Round Top, Round Two

The past week has been a total whirlwind with two trips down to Round Top. Before I show you my latest venture, I have to thank my sweet husband, who has played Mr. Mom (even working my school cafeteria shift, I might add) so I could go on this very important business trip. Really, it is a business trip, in a sense for me. But more than anything, it's just good girl time - talking, shopping and sipping a cocktail or two. 


So on Tuesday morning, we set off to hit Marburger Farm and the Big Red Barn, two of the "higher end" antique shows. There's not much digging involved when you explore Marburger. Everything in the six big white tents is pretty much to die for. Check out these sconces I saw when I walked inside. See that little red sticker? They're already sold, just 15 minutes after the gates were opened. 




The patina on these antique mirrors is so pretty. Can't you just picture them inside a powder bath? 


My mom is working to redesign the Chi Omega sorority house at SMU. Wouldn't a pair of these owl lamps be perfect in the home's new entry? Sadly, I have a hunch they're probably not in the budget. 




After Marburger, we hopped in my truck and headed out to the fields. Going through the fields is work, but it's where the bargains are. One tent houses rugs made by a vendor who sells his collection to ABC Carpet & Home in New York. He takes antique rugs, removes all color, then distresses them by shearing the pile super short. Then the rugs are dyed again in bright hues and patchwork-pieced together.



Another field vendor sold balls made of wisteria vines, which Lindsay and Shawna snagged. Lindsay is using hers as a centerpiece on her dining room table; Shawna picked up this one for a client's home. The dealer started with more than 200 balls, and he only had a handful left for us to choose from!




Courtenay also bought some wisteria, but her version is mounted on a stand. It's going to be a Christmas gift for her mom, who has a clean-lined, Asian-influenced home in Hilton Head. This wisteria sculpture will be a perfect fit.



We ended the day with drinks at Royer's in the fields, a nice ending to a hard day's work. Oh, how I love sangria wine! 


The next morning we were up bright and early to secure our spot in line at the Big Red Barn. We waited here for 45 minutes, but it's worth it - we were some of the first inside the Happy Hunter, a Tulsa dealer who has the most beautiful things. I picked up several things for my booth like some gorgeous blue Chinese export plates, antique engravings and a tiny bamboo side table covered in a cute leopard print. 





But I think my favorite find was this vintage Highland Park High School pennant I bought for my son Leighton's room. I would love to get an Arkansas pennant for Stroud and an OU pennant for myself on my next trip, and frame them together inside our game room! 



I'm hoping to have everything moved into my booth this week, so please stop by and shop my finds from Round Top! 

Lindley Arthur Antiques
Antique Row
5013 West Lovers Lane
Dallas, Texas 75209


4 comments:

  1. Lindley, Looks like such a great trip. I managed to make it for one day and found a few treasures in the fields. LOVE those wisteria "sculptures". They are great looking! Oh, and that HP pennant - you need to send that to me as I just went to 40th reunion this past weekend - yes, I said 40th!! I know - I can't believe I am that old either!! It was so much fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is amazing you went to your 40th! Are you an HP grad? You need to stop by Cole's next time and get a pennant of your own! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! I love Roundtop. I wasn't able to go this time, but hope I can in the Spring. Thanks for sharing your finds. I love that HP pendant. I used to lead Young Life there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I graduated from HP in 1971. Grew up in HP with Gretchen, Nicole's mother in law. It was wild going to the reunion. I have known many of those people since we were in grade school. Some looked pretty much the same - only older, obviously - and some looked so old I did not recognize them! You are right - I should check out that booth at Cole's - they have a ton of inventory, don't they?

    ReplyDelete