Thursday, April 14, 2011

Before and After: Leighton's "Big Boy" Room

My son Leighton will be starting kindergarten in just four months - an idea I'm still getting used to. So, I decided it was time to trade in his toddler bed for something a little more grown up. 


I found this great iron bed when Stephanie Anne moved a few years ago. I stored it in my in-law's garage for two years before finally bringing it into our home. Here's a picture of Leighton the first night his "big boy bed" moved in. 



And here it is today! 


I originally was going to do everything custom, but after pricing it all out, decided it was a little too expensive for a five-year-old. He isn't allowed to have nicer bedding than me, right? 


So I settled for a mix. I found the striped fabric for the headboard and bedskirt at Pindler & Pindler, and had both pieces finished by my upholsterer. Then, I found the simple tan coverlet from Peacock Alley and the denim blue Euro shams and duvet from Pine Cone Hill. I just asked my upholsterer to dress them up a little by adding some cording in a coordinating Pindler & Pindler fabric. 


Next on the list - adding some toy baskets under his bedside tables and recovering his bulletin board in burlap! 



1 comment: