Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Saving Memories with Style

If you work as a Mom like me, you've got to keep up with a lot of paperwork. My boys present me with tons of art projects, homemade cards and momentos from school every year, none of which I have the heart to throw away. The question is, what do you do with it all? Here are a few solutions I'm planning at my house. 


My mom framed some of our childhood masterpieces in her laundry room. To this day, the walls are lined with my second-grade nativity scene and my sister's Halloween skeleton made of Q-tips. Of course it was a proud moment for us when something was promoted to the laundry art gallery. But I appreciate it even more as an adult - it reminds me (and I'm sure my mom) that we 30-something women were once little girls. All you need are simple, store-bought acrylic frames like these, which are inexpensive and easy to open if you want to create a "rotating gallery" over the years. 


Real Simple always has the best ideas, don't you think? Here, each child has a binder dedicated to their school year. I'd love to make some of these for my boys, and fill them with their drawings, school pictures and anything the teacher sends home. 

Real Simple

I picked up a few of these library office storage boxes from the Container Store. I'm keeping them in the top of our closet for special things the boys give us, like the paper scrap where Leighton first wrote his name or the turkey painting made using an imprint of Benton's tiny hand. 

I'd love to hear some of your ideas, too! 

2 comments:

  1. One thing I do is take digital pics of the kids' Artwork before I toss them. You simply can't keep everything, but taking pics of them before they get recycled certainly lessens that mommy guilt you inevitably feel just before you pitch one of their precious works of art. I fully intend to compile all of these pics in a hardcover photo book on Snapfish or Shutterfly...it's on my to-do list. but until then they have their own little folder on my hard drive, and we get bored the kids love to look through slideshows of the art they did when they were "babies." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever Gina, I might follow in your footsteps and do the same!

    ReplyDelete