Sunday, January 23, 2011

Gifted

It's been exactly one year since we packed up our North Dallas digs and moved south to the Park Cities into our home on Harvard. Thankfully, most of our furniture fit so we haven't had to buy much. But there has been one space we've been itching to fill - an empty wall in our living room. 




We've talked a lot about what to do. An arrangement of prints? A pair of antique doors? We finally agreed that the wall needed a painting - something abstract and BIG. 


So, since I'm obsessed with the art of Atlanta up-and-comer Melissa Payne Baker (see my blog post here) I asked if she would be interested in working on a commission painting. I sent her measurements, some photos of the room and a general idea of what we were looking for. Could it really be this easy?


And just three weeks later (the girl works fast!) a big box arrived on our doorstep. I was in New York for the weekend celebrating my birthday, but sweet Stroud did an expert job hanging it and even texted me a picture. This is what I came home to this afternoon:



A weekend in New York with my best friend is pretty hard to beat (thank you Stroud!) but this painting might be my favorite birthday present. Thank you, thank you Melissa! 

3 comments:

  1. Lin, I really like the new painting. Glad you checked that to do off the list. Will come by soon to see it in person.

    Owen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Can't wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun to read your blog! I grew up in Highland Park and lived in Preston Hollow before we moved to Fredericksburg. Hope you enjoy your new home, AND the Dolly Johnson Antique Show! Let me know how you like it and if you find any treasures.

    ReplyDelete