Monday, November 8, 2010

Urban Market in Houston

One of the best things about my new job as an antique dealer? The "business" trips! I'm always on the lookout for new things for my booth, so I'm hitting the road whenever I can. This Saturday, I kidnapped my mom to check out the Urban Market Antique Show in Houston.


Our first stop was lunch at Tiny Boxwoods inside the super cute Thompson & Hanson nursery. I'd been cooped up inside all week with a sick baby, so eating lunch on this sunny patio was just what the doctor ordered.  



After polishing off chocolate chip cookies we were ready to shop! I wish we had a nursery like Thompson & Hanson in Dallas - it's got so many unusual succulents and topiaries. And of course, it's covered with these cute little tiny boxwoods. I'm kicking myself for not taking a few as a souvenir! 







Urban Market didn't open until 3 p.m., so we killed a couple of hours visiting Round Top girls 2 Lucy's at Memorial Antiques & Interiors


Then we set off to Urban Market. This was our first visit to the show, and we didn't know what to expect. It didn't take long to realize that it's Marburger Farm's little sister - same customers, same big white tents. 


Julie Landreth

Julie Landreth

But Urban Market is smaller (just 60 dealers) and less expensive (I spotted a Louis Phillippe commode for $1,300). And the ladies were a little more laid back - no pushing and shoving here! Probably thanks to the two wine tickets that come with admission. 

Here are some snapshots from inside the tents. 





My favorite booth was loaded with botanical holiday decorations. I almost left with this garland made of fresh bay leaves and a handful of these giant sugar cones. 




I didn't end up buying much for myself (Stroud was very pleased). But, I found some fabulous things for the shop - French Napoleon III pieces and a cute little iron side table with a mirrored top. I'll post pictures soon.

And antique lovers, mark your calendar for the next Urban Market on February 12th and 13th. I'll be there for "business", but you should go for a fun - it's the perfect 24-hour girls' getaway! 







3 comments:

  1. Love all of your photos - and you even visited my favorite lunch place -- Tiny Boxwoods!
    So happy you came to Houston for The Urban Market!
    Great blog - thank you so much.
    Jackie Sharbrough

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, there are so many pieces I love especially the pinecones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jackie...we need a Tiny Boxwoods in Dallas. I don't know what's better - the patio or the food! Urban Market was so much fun. I'll be back in February with friends. :)

    ReplyDelete