Thursday, October 14, 2010

Hot Off The Press: The Latest Design Books

After being married for two years, Stroud and I bought our first home - a 1950s ranch in North Dallas. I was a copywriter earning an entry level salary, so of course I couldn't afford a decorator. I decided to rely on some wise advice I'd once heard - when you can't hire a professional, find a good design book and copy the rooms you like. So I bought my first (Charles Faudree's Country French Living) and got to work. 


I've built a small design library over the years. On quiet nights, I love to pour a glass of wine and thumb through them for inspiration. I'm always on the lookout for new reads, so I thought I'd share a few that just hit the shelves. All are on my Christmas wish list (I hope my husband is reading this)!
British designer William Yeoward gives us a peek inside two of his personal residences  - his London apartment and his Cotswolds country home. At Home also shows off the designer's talent for setting gorgeous tables...just in time for holiday entertaining! 


Alexa Hampton (daughter of interior design legend Mark Hampton) just released her first book, The Language of Interior Design. Like the title implies, she covers elements of good interior design by showcasing 18 classic homes from her portfolio. The book also gives expert advice on everything from fabric schemes to picking paint colors. 

One of my dreams is to visit the flea market in Paris. And someday (when the boys are bigger) I'm going to make the trip. But until then, I'll get my fix from Antiquaires by Laure Verchere and Laziz Hamani. The book illustrates the pair's journey through the market's aisles, profiling vendors and showing off their treasures. 

The pale, clean and simple Scandinavian look is hot right now. But Lars Bolander has been designing Scandinavian homes around the world for decades - long before it was splashed across every shelter magazine. His debut book is packed with more than 350 beautiful photos illustrating every detail of the Scandinavian look - from kitchen layouts to storage ideas, wall treatments to living room furniture. 

I own several books from Dallas designer Betty Lou Phillips. French Impressions is her tenth - impressive in itself. Like the others, it is filled with elegant, refined spaces with a French influence. Betty Lou's books usually include photos of several homes in her portfolio, but French Impressions focuses on just one - the newly remodeled Dallas home of the decorator herself. I can't wait to see what she's done with it. 


1 comment:

  1. Well, I had no idea your blog existed! I just found it on Jordan's blog and I have to say I love it! I am AWFUL at decorating so maybe this blog can help me!! Lana

    ReplyDelete