Monday, October 11, 2010

Found Objects: Antique Mason Jars

Remember these antique Hungarian Mason jars I spotted on my first trip to Round Top? 




I've been kicking myself for not buying a few for the shop (and myself)! So I was thrilled when I spotted several up for grabs at an antique auction yesterday. Competition was tough, but I managed to win a few for my booth. 




They were once used by villagers on the European countryside to store and ferment fruits and vegetables before the winter. Green jars usually housed fruits; the clear versions preserved vegetables like cucumbers and white peppers. 


Today, use your imagination - the old jars are perfect for displaying collections, holiday centerpieces, flowers, even a terrarium.  








I spotted this pair of vintage Mason jars in the window of Mary Cates' new shop in Inwood Village - $125 for the large, $115 for the small. 


I'm selling my larger jars for $95 and smaller for $85. I'm not delivering until this weekend so if you'd like to have one before they're gone, let me know! 










6 comments:

  1. "Gracieux I" is my favorite, butit was hard to chose. Lovely works. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find! Do you still have any of the large Hungarian jars left to sell? Do you ship out of state?
    Thanks! Angela angbarnett@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on finding the jars you wanted! I love how you showed so many examples on how we can put old Mason jars or canning jars to good use. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa @marmstrong34@aol.comNovember 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM

    I'd like to find a jar similar to this for my upcoming wedding. In leiu of a guest sign in book we wanted to do a "message in a bottle", every bottle I find I am afraid I wont get the messages out of the small hole. I think these would be perfect, although I am a little lost of where to find them. Do you have any recommendations? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, I've seen some copies at Restoration Hardware and Pottery Barn. Not the "real deal" but honestly, they look SO good. What a wonderful idea for your wedding! Congrats to you! xo

    ReplyDelete